shumee & Diya Ghar: This Diwali help us bring play to children of migrant workers
Since 2016, long before the plight of migrants came into the spotlight, Diya Ghar has been working to bring better opportunities to the children of migrant workers. Until the pandemic, they ran 3 Preschool and Day Care centres with 135 children.
In July 2020, they started Community Centres providing:
1. Early Childhood Education: They build classrooms in the community itself and identify and train community teachers who teach Maths, English, and Kannada using the Montessori method.
2. Nutrition: They provide daily nutritional supplements (milk, eggs, fruit, protein bars, porridge mix) for the children in the preschool program and their siblings.
3. Child Care: They provide clothes, slippers, blankets and hygiene kits for children.
4. Health Care: They conduct quarterly health camps and support children who need treatment.
5. Parent Empowerment: Through a curriculum of weekly video sessions, they teach parenting skills and activities that parents can do with their children. They also follow up with calls and community visits.
Currently, Diya Ghar serves 600 preschool children and 1,000 siblings. They are working towards reaching 1,000 preschool children by March 2022.
At shumee, we believe that every child deserves to play. This Diwali, we want to light up the little hearts at Diya Ghar by gifting them a playroom. Will you contribute?
In the cart-page you will find an option to donate Rs. 50, Rs. 100 or Rs. 150 towards this cause. Add it to your cart while checking out.
We are aiming for a target 50 of age-appropriate, development-friendly toys, games, and books. Whatever your contribution, we will match it. We'll also send you a little shumee peg doll as a thank you!
Please donate and spread the word! You can check back on our website every few days to see our progress. May this Diwali be happy for you and all the children at Diya Ghar!